Bio & Contact

[Photo by Remi Theriault for Trackster]

I'm a singer-songwriter (Newall & the Gang) and multi-instrumentalist, and a Top-40 solo covers musician for hire.

I'm also a Canadian history researcher and journalist. I write a quarterly column for Ottawa's award-winning Apartment613 arts & culture blog.

For my original music, previous concert venues played include Zaphod Beeblebrox, Irene's Pub, and Bluesfest (in Ottawa), plus Clinton's, The Rivoli, and C'est What (in Toronto). I've released 5 EPs and one double-album, starting in 1995.

Original music bands I've played in include Lisa Fowler & the Prowlers (incl. Ottawa Jazzfest), Danielle Allard (incl. Ottawa Bluesfest), The Sidestreet Nobodies, Liam Lloyd (LiVE 88.5 Big $ Shot), The Big Bend (incl. NAC Fourth Stage), Dave Norris & Local Ivan (incl. Junofest), Jumpin' Joel Flash & The Magic Machine, and many more.

I've hosted numerous open mic series, including at the Lunenburg Pub, and at Live on Elgin, the latter of which was turned into a monthly show on Rogers TV. Further, I created my own battle of the bands series called Play for the Pot, which ran at the Lunenburg, Zaphod's, and Live on Elgin from 2012-2017.

Top-40 covers acts I've played in include Brown Paper Bag, Sven @ Würk, and JackAsh. Venues I've played in Ottawa include; the Heart & Crown chain, the Barley Mow chain, Highlander Pub, Royal Oak Orleans, Stornoway, Larrimac Golf Club, private parties, Harley Davidson (Ottawa and Gatineau), Barrhaven Oktoberfest, Pour House, Sens House, and many more.

(You can find my full Top-40 covers artist credentials, with samples, here.)

I'm also a graphic artist, colourizing local historical photos. In 2022, I was awarded a City of Ottawa Heritage grant in support of my Apartment613 column plus a vernissage at Irene's Pub (Dec. 5-31), as well as an Awesome Ottawa award also in support of the latter. You can follow my Capital History Ottawa (#colourized) on Twitter and Instagram.

 

Contact: ashnewall at gmail dot com


Popular Posts